Leadership in Action (LIA) is an eight-week paid summer internship program designed to develop emerging young leaders by providing college students with practical leadership skills and the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working in Asian and Pacific Islander (API) community in Southern California.
Leadership in Action interns are placed in selected community-based organizations in Southern California, where they are expected to work 4 full days per week under an assigned staff supervisor. Work assignments differ according to each organization’s programs and needs.
Each week, one day will be devoted to leadership development training or issue discussions and group project work. Nationally recognized trainers will deliver workshops in critical skill areas. Issue discussions are on local or timely topics of interest and are facilitated by local community leaders/activists and LEAP trainers.
PROGRAM LENGTH AND STIPEND
The eight-week program runs from June 15 through August 7, 2015. Interns will receive compensation in the amount of $2,500 for successful completion of the program and are responsible for their own housing, transportation, and insurance.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
College students or recent graduates with…
• Prior experience in API communities
• A passion for learning and growing leadership skills
• An interest in gaining work experience in an API community-based nonprofit organization
HOW TO APPLY
1. Complete the Leadership in Action application, either online or by mailing it in.
2. Submit the following documents:
– Two letters of recommendation
– Current resume
– Official transcript
– One Page Personal Statement.
WHERE TO APPLY
All application materials must be received by Monday, March 9, 2015.
MORE INFORMATION ABOUT PROGRAM